Everyone wants to live a long and healthy life. So it’s no surprise that healthy aging is such a popular topic, with experts reminding us to exercise, eat right, get enough sleep, and socialize as part of a smart lifelong wellness program.
But what does it mean to practice “holistic” wellness? What role does it play in helping us achieve healthy aging? Turns out, a very important one—and at Clearwater Living, it’s the philosophy behind everything we do. We call it Empowered Living.®
Holistic wellness and healthy aging for seniors
According to the American Holistic Health Association, holistic health is an approach to life that emphasizes the connection of the mind, body, and spirit, with the goal of having everything functioning at its very best so you achieve maximum well-being. A key component to a holistic approach is taking responsibility for your well-being and making everyday choices that put you in charge of your health.
Holistic wellness integrates all aspects of a senior’s life, including health, social interactions, cognition, participation in activities, eating habits, and sleeping patterns—and finding ways to take care of, and improve upon, these factors.
Holistic wellness is something you work on each day, and living in a supportive environment makes that easier. Here are 5 reasons why:
• When you’re surrounded by happy and healthy-minded people, you are more likely to become happier and healthier. Now more than ever, wellness and healthy aging for seniors is the top priority for modern senior living communities. Daily events calendars highlight classes, activities, lifelong learning, and more that incorporate all aspects of wellness. For example, at Clearwater Living, our Empowered Living® program is based on the belief that purposeful connections with others, shared experiences, and community involvement is integral to health and wellness.
• You are free to focus on your own health and wellness without the burdens of home upkeep or everyday worries. Instead, you can make friends, pursue your favorite pastimes, volunteer, exercise more, and benefit from good nutrition. You can truly reap the benefits of an enriched life. Clearwater Living’s diverse programs, amenities, and events promote physical activity, stimulate the mind, bring purpose and meaning to life, encourage social engagement, provide an environment that’s beautiful for effortless living, and nourish the mind and body.
• Just knowing a listening ear is always nearby is reassuring. Mental and emotional health are also important. Being alone with sad or negative feelings can be harmful to your overall health. Living in a group setting gives you a sense of belonging and reassurance that you are around people who genuinely care about you and your wellbeing. Having an outlet to express your feelings encourages a positive outcome. People who feel connected to others are more likely to thrive than those who do not.
• You’re more inspired to stay active. One of the best strategies for wellness and healthy aging for seniors is to keep moving. You will feel better, and your body will be stronger. It could be bicycling, stretching, yoga, or Zumba. At Clearwater Living, even if your physical abilities are limited, you can opt for chair exercise, you can work at a raised vegetable bed, or you can engage in a group activity that helps you work on balance and strength.
• Wellness benefits of group settings extend through all levels of care. A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine states that participating in enjoyable activities with others keeps brain cells functioning and even keeps cognitive skills intact longer. These are two of the biggest factors that can reduce a person’s risk of dementia, or slow the progression of the disease if an individual already has it.
Bottom line: Holistic wellness can help you lead a happier, healthier, and more fulfilling life by focusing on the people you are around each day, the opportunities you have, the goals you set, and the environment you live in. It’s a very good prescription for healthy aging!
Age Successfully with Empowered Living® at Clearwater Living.
Whether you’re moving into a Clearwater Independent Living, Assisted Living, or Memory Care community, each resident can discover a world of options that enable choice and empower successful aging. Call the community nearest you today!