If you’re making resolutions for the new year, why not go big? Maybe think about what could give you more freedom to enjoy each day, leaving loneliness and daily chores behind. How about an inspiring, carefree lifestyle that empowers you to make new friends, celebrate all that you are, and offers the reassurance of a helping hand if needed? We’re talking about senior living, and the holidays are a great time to visit a community and see firsthand how it feels. To help, here are 5 questions you should ask when touring a senior community.
Making the right choice: 5 questions when touring a senior living community.
1. What is the dining like? There’s an Irish proverb that states, “Laughter is brightest in the place where food is.” We think that means being happy is easy when you’re enjoying really good food in a relaxing and comfortable atmosphere. So one of the most important questions when touring a senior living community is about the dining experience. Are there multiple venues? Who is the chef? Does the menu offer enough variety? What if you have certain dietary restrictions? Be sure to have a meal and see what you think of the choices, and the ambiance.
Through the Savor Culinary program at Clearwater Living, residents enjoy inventive, nourishing dishes made-to-order by onsite chefs and served restaurant-style. The focus is on creativity. Quality. Variety. And we don't limit you to one setting or mealtime. Instead, you can dine in multiple venues—indoors and al fresco. We are committed to not just filling your stomach…but your soul as well!
2. What services and amenities are provided and what will cost extra? The whole idea of giving yourself the gift of a carefree lifestyle is to let someone else handle the details. Like housekeeping, exterior maintenance, transportation to medical appointments or to markets, repairs, and upkeep. Your questions when touring a senior community should include asking for a list of what will be done for you. In addition, you’ll want to note if your desired amenities are there, such as a fitness center, library, theater, salon and spa, or a putting green. You’ll find all this and more at Clearwater Living.
In fact, we’ve designed our communities to offer experiences—indoor and outdoor spaces where all ages can engage, participate, and make new memories. Like by the outdoor fireplace. Or with friends in our dog park. Moments you look forward to.
3. What kind of activities are on the calendar and how many participate? At Clearwater Living, we have it on good authority that having fun is very important for happy, healthy aging—and we believe it should be part of your everyday life! As you do your research, check out the community’s activities calendar and see what appeals to you. There should be a full list that might include birthday parties, arts and crafts classes, concerts, happy hours, lifelong learning opportunities, outings to area sites of interest, special events and more.
Questions when touring a senior community should always be about choices: what choices do you have for staying connected and engaged? When you visit Clearwater Living, you’ll see how our residents aren’t just living. They’re getting more out of life!
4. How does the community support lifelong wellness? It’s more than having a place to exercise or an occasional lecture about nutrition. In your search, one of the big questions when touring a senior community should focus on the culture: does it help residents achieve a healthy balance in their lives?
At Clearwater Living, we recognize the impact that emotional, physical, and social experiences have on successful aging. That’s why we encourage residents in our Independent Living, Assisted Living, and Memory Care communities to live a balanced lifestyle through Empowered Living, a holistic approach to wellness, which incorporates the Six Dimensions of Living Well. Participation, engagement and curiosity—every day, giving you options for pursuing optimal health.
5. What are the residences like? Goldilocks took her time making sure she would be comfortable. You want to do the same. So add “floor plan options” to your list of questions when touring a senior community. Can you see yourself feeling at home? Would your apartment be a short walk from common areas and activities? Is there enough storage? If you have a pet, be sure to inquire if pets are welcome.
Spend a few minutes in a residence and just take in the vibe. You aren’t just looking for a place to hang your hat. You want a place where you can relax, put your feet up, and thrive. Clearwater Living residents choose from a variety of spaces crafted to help them make the most of each day.
We believe living in a community should be inspiring and fulfilling. Emphasizing choice and meaningful engagement, Clearwater Living communities provide opportunities to participate, contribute, learn, and have fun every day. We invite you to come see us. Learn more about the unique amenities and programs offered at the community nearest you today! Find the Clearwater Living senior community nearest you and call us today to set up a visit.